As I mentioned in my last post, I hosted a brunch for some of my lady friends. I started my day with a spin class to get my blood flowing and energy up. When I came home, I began the final preparations.
Here’s what was on the menu!
Drinks (Click to see recipes!):
- Bloody Marys
- Bellini bar with homemade organic fruit purees
Eats (Click to see recipes!):
- Baked egg casserole with mushrooms, spinach, and salsa
- Bruleed grapefruit
- Melon balls with lime zest and flaked maldon sea salt
- Parmesan-crusted asparagus
- Homemade granola with Greek yogurt
- Apple cinnamon quinoa bites
- Almond and pear tart
Note: One way that I like to keep myself organized is to create a notebook of recipes in Evernote. This is an app that you can link between your phone, ipad, and computer so that no matter where you are, you can add to or reference back to it. When I’m cooking, I just set my ipad up on the counter so that all my recipes and notes are at my fingertips!
Two days before, I had made the granola and packed it into jars, so that was all set. A day ahead of time, here’s what I did:
- Final grocery shopping at farmer’s market, Whole Foods, and regular grocery store (any interest in seeing my shopping lists?)
- Prepared fruit purees – raspberry, mango, and blueberry
- Sauteed mushrooms and spinach for egg casserole
- Put together quinoa mixture for quinoa bites
- Lay out serving dishes/napkins/utensils
- Set out flowers in vases, fresh vegetables in bowls
- Chill champagne
The morning of, I felt pretty good about what I had to get done. I ended up being a little rushed, but isn’t that always the case? I pre-heated the oven before taking a quick shower, and then began to put the final touches together:
- Spoon quinoa mixture into mini muffin tins and throw into the oven
- Mix up egg/egg white mixture for egg casserole and layer onto pre-sauteed veggies – baked in oven after removing quinoa bites
- Ball melons and set aside in a bowl
- Prepare bloody mary mix (minus the vodka) and pour into carafe
- Make coffee
- Make almond and pear tarts (I was worried about these taking a really long time, but they came together in a flash!) and put into oven to bake after egg casserole
- Coat asparagus and lay out on baking tray to bake after tarts
- Place all the prepared foods into serving dishes and place on table
- Pick a playlist/radio station to play in the background
When the first lady arrived, I was putting the final touches on the food and was ready to relax! Time for coffee and bellinis!
What did you do for Memorial Day Weekend?